Building record MDR13024 - United Reform Church, High Street, Melbourne
Type and Period (2)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Victorian - 1871 AD to 1871 AD)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1769 AD to 1841 AD)
The Independent Chapel at Melbourne was built in 1779 and enlarged in 1841. It is a stone building with a brick front and stone dressings. It will seat 280. (1) There is a Congregational Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) The Congregationalists, originally Independents, have a handsome chapel in High Street. (3) The Congregational Chapel in High Street was first founded in 1769. The present edifice is a building of stone that was erected in 1871. It seats 300 persons. (4) A grade II listed church dating to 1871. It is built of rock-faced stone with stone dressings, and has a slate roof. It comprises nave, with transept and chancel bays, and a small tower to the north-east corner. The northern street elevation has an eared gable, clasping buttresses to either side, and rock-faced relieving Birches over all the windows. There is a central stone inscribed 'Memorial Stone Laid April 1871'. See list description for more details. (5) It is still in use as a place of worship . (6)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 364.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 774.
- <4> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 342.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 83096.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3856 2514 (25m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:59AM