Building record MDR13025 - Methodist Church, Church Street, Melbourne
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1870 AD to 1870 AD)
- None recorded
There is a chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1) The first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Melbourne was built in 1826 [see SMR 31715]. It sufficed until 1870, when a much more ornate structure was erected, at an expense of £2,000, to seat 400 persons. The old chapel is used as a Sunday school. (2) It is still in use as a place of worship . (3)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 774.
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3867 2518 (23m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:59AM