This is a two storey plus attic, brick-built, gabled building with a slated roof, fancy barge boards and tall chimney stacks. The brickwork is now painted. It was originally a shop with the owners living over; now a lock-up shop, possibly built c. 1860-1870. It is the earliest known shop in Long Eaton still trading in the founder's name and original use. Its barge boards suggest early railway architecture with which the town grew up and of which little remains. There is nothing similar elsewhere in Long Eaton's shopping streets. (1)
Comparison of the photograph attached to the County Treasure record and the building as seen on Google Streetview suggests that the 'tall chimney stacks' referred to above have since been shortened. (2)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(j).1, with photo.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 01/09/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4941 3342 (21m by 12m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.