Monument record MDR13039 - Park Hall park, Park Hall, Denby

Type and Period (1)

  • ? (Medieval to Elizabethan - 1200 AD to 1600 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There were two medieval parks in Denby, one around the Old Hall [SMR 18820], the other around Park Hall. They may originally have formed a single large enclosed park that was split in the early 14th century when a portion of the manor was sold, with the two parks coming together again in the mid-16th century. The park around Park Hall probably extended on both sides of Ryknield Street [SMR 99016], running up to The Stripe in the north-west. Other boundaries are uncertain. It is clear from documentary evidence that there was some confusion as to the status of Salter Wood. There may originally have been a Parker's Lodge on the site of the later Park Hall, the latter being developed into a capital messuage after the manor was split. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 64-65.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3856 4779 (1668m by 1469m)
Civil Parish DENBY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 4 2019 1:10PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.