Monument record MDR13041 - Kirk Hallam Park, Dale Abbey

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to Tudor - 1200 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The earliest reference to Kirk Hallam Park is in the 1230s when Richard, son of Peter of Sandiacre, gave the canons of Dale a plot in his park of Kirk Hallam to make a fishpond on the 'sitch' next to the 'Fal' (?waterfall). Later, the canons acquired several acres of arable land there and still later they were given all the land in the park except the oaks and hazels. They were also allowed common pasture there, as were the free tenants of Kirk Hallam. In addition, Ralph, possibly a parker, had a house in the park, as well as some arable land. These references provide a very different view of the medieval park from that of the usual 'deer park' image. Finding evidence for the park on the ground was problematical although the charters and a 17th century map of Dale Lordship provided some clues. The map shows 'Great Hallam Parke', Near Hallam Parke' and 'Hallam Parke Close', together with 'Ox Hayes' and the 'Three Pools'. These suggest it was in the western part of the parish close to Dale Abbey itself, with the arable land within the park on 'Siffon' hill, the name now lost. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 82-83.



Grid reference Centred SK 4463 3940 (1643m by 797m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2020 1:27PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.