Lightwood Farm is a house and barn complex on what may be a much earlier site. Map evidence suggests that this may be a moated site; part of a wide, wet ditch still survives to the north-east side of the complex. The present L-shaped farmhouse appears from the outside to date from the early 19th century; however inside there are a few features which suggest that at least part of the building survives from an earlier, H-shaped, farmhouse shown on a plan of 1779. The L-shaped barn complex to the west of the house is substantially that shown on the 1779 plan. It is constructed of coursed rubble coal measure sandstone with gritstone dressings and quoins. The first mention of the place-name is in a document of c. 1290 which refers to a 'John de Lightwood'. The farm was later occupied by the Gill family, who were at Lightwood in the 16th century and possibly before. The inventory of 'Phillippe Gill late of Lightwood' records fourteen rooms. Even if some of these were in the barn complex, it still indicates a house of much greater size than the present one, more comparable with that shown on the plan of 1779. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Ball, C, Crossley, D & Jones, S (eds). 1996. Houses in the Derbyshire Landscape. The Moss Valley.. pp 25-30.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3771 8192 (96m by 86m)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 24 2015 10:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.