Listed Building record MDR13092 - Emmanuel Church, Church Street, Swadlincote
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian - 1845 AD to 1846 AD)
The church of Emmanuel was erected in 1845-6. It is a neat Gothic edifice of stone, comprising chancel, nave, transepts, and bell turret containing one bell. There are 401 sittings, all of which are free and unappropriated. (1) A grade II listed Anglican church that was built in 1846 by H I Stevens. It has been built in the Early English style, and is built of rock-faced grey stone on a plinth. It has a slate roof with coped gables, eaves cornice and bellcote. The building has a cruciform plan. The nave is of four bays with four lancets and a triple light west window. It has a polygonal east end. The doors to the south transept and west porch are of early 20th century date with good ironwork. Inside the church, there is some good 20th century woodwork, with the side screens to the transepts by Doringtons of Heanor; and the choir stalls, reredos and lectern by Bridgemans of Lichfield. The west window has good stained glass of 1937. The glass may be by Jones and Willis. Emmanuel Church stands in large churchyard. (2) There is now a modern extension to the rear of the church . (3-4)
- --- SDR24761 Unpublished document: Parker, T (ARS). 2018. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Emmanuel Church, Swadlingcote.
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 823.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82570.
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <4> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 28/10/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3033 1966 (38m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 1 2021 1:17PM