Monument record MDR13102 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Market Street, Church Gresley
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1882 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 2nd and 3rd edition 25" OS maps of the late 19th-early 20th century that is not present on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It appears to supersede an earlier chapel to the north (see SMR 26930). (1-3) The Primitive Methodists erected their present chapel in 1882. It is built of brick with stone dressings, and is excellently fitted up with galleries, affording accommodation for a total of 600 persons. (4) The chapel has since been demolished and the site has been redeveloped . (5-6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 723.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20848 Digital data: Derbyshire County Council. GIS Layer. Website viewed 03/11/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2980 1850 (27m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2013 12:32PM