Monument record MDR13104 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), Station Street, Church Gresley

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There are two Wesleyan Methodist Chapels in Church Gresley, which are supplied from the Ashby circuit. One of these chapels was built for the accommodation of the people employed at the Pool works. (1) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2) By the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century, a new chapel (SMR 26934) has been built directly to the north of this building, which was then used as a Sunday school. (3) This building has since been demolished [2011]. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Wright, C N. 1874. Wright's Directory of South Derbyshire. p 232.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2871 1784 (16m by 26m)
Civil Parish SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 12 2015 10:55AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.