Monument record MDR13109 - Ebenezer Methodist Chapel, Main Street, Newhall
Type and Period (3)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1887 AD to 1887 AD)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1882 AD)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There is a chapel and a school situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. By the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, the chapel appears to have been rebuilt so that it is now joined to the school building to the north. (1-2) Looking on Google Maps Street View, the chapel is a large red-brick building, with two floors of round-arched windows, and a circular window above to the front elevation. Above the central round-arched doorway is a triangular pediment, with the words 'EBENEZER CHAPEL 1887' in relief in the tympanum. Some of the letters appear to be missing or very weathered. There is a modern extension at the rear to the east. It is not certain if it is still in use as a place of worship . (3) It is not certain what type of Methodism was practiced at this chapel, but it may be the Primitive Methodist Chapel mentioned briefly by Bulmer in 1895. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 10/11/2011.
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 785.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2847 2087 (20m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2014 4:03PM