Building record MDR13112 - Former United Methodist Free Chapel, James Street, Lower Midway

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There is a United Methodist Free Chapel situated here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 that is not present on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1-2) By the 4th edition 25" OS map of 1938-9, the building is in use as a Sunday school. (3) It is not known whether the former chapel is part of the current building at the site, which is now known as Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses [2011], but it seems likely. (4-5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
  • <5> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 10/11/2011.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3065 2044 (19m by 17m)
Civil Parish SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 20 2017 2:51PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.