Building record MDR13117 - Repton United Reformed Church, Pinfold Lane, Repton
Type and Period (1)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1836 AD to 1839 AD)
The Independent chapel at Repton was built in 1836, at a cost of £460, and enlarged in 1839, at a cost of £177. It will seat 400 persons. (1) The Congregationalists have a chapel in Repton that was built in 1836, and subsequently enlarged. (2) The Congregational Chapel on Pinfold Lane was built circa 1837 for a church that claimed to have been formed in 1780. A certificate for meetings in a private house is dated January 1788. (3) A grade II listed non-conformist chapel dating to 1837. It is built of red brick with a plain tile hipped roof. It has a tall rendered plinth and a dentil eaves cornice. It is of a single storey. The north elevation has three tall round-arched windows with glazing bar sashes, and to the left is a similar but shorter window set high up. Below is a round-arched doorway, with a panelled door and fanlight. There is a later single storey porch to the west. There are two round-arched windows to the east, set high up. The later gabled range to south east is not of special interest. The interior has a gallery at the east end. (4) It is still in use as a place of worship . (5-6)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 374.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 803.
- <3> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 55.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82765.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 11/11/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3074 2655 (28m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 4:44PM