An old guide stone inscribed 'DARBY ASHBORN 1710'. The guide stone was erected following an Act of Parliament passed in 1702. Only about 20 of these early 18th century guide stones still exist in the county. The guide stone is situated in front of the Alport Stone [see SMR 16509], at the top of a track running in to the old quarry. The site is owned by the National Trust, and the stone was in good condition in 1978. (1)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 16.1, with photos.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3035 5157 (11m by 15m)
ASHLEYHAY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 11:17AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.