On the area known as Windmill Hill, to the north side of Sleetmoor Lane, stood Sleetmore Windmill. It was probably built in 1790 and may have been the one listed by John Farey in 1811. It appears on the Enclosure Award map of 1816 and also in the Alfreton Survey of 1824 and figures on Greenwood's map of 1825. The mill had originally been built with common sails but was fitted with two spring sails in about 1870 to provide some automatic adjustment. The mill worked until 1908 and was demolished in 1925 when Sleetmoor Hall was built. The son of the last miller was reported in 1949 as saying that he recalled the windmill well. It was a post mill with a round house without a curb, two spring and two common sails, a pair each of Peak and French burr stones, a four grade flour machine and, in the gears, box wood cogs which were lubricated with neatsfoot oil from a bottle. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 39.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4086 5411 (21m by 17m)
SWANWICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 20 2014 2:27PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.