Skip to main content

Monument record MDR13127 - Renishaw Mill (site of), Renishaw Lane End, Station Road, Eckington

Type and Period (4)

  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Renishaw Mill is mentioned in a Parliamentary Survey of 1650 as follows: '…those two Watergrist Mills under one Roofe commonly called or known by the name of the Hay Mills situate and being upon the River of Rother in Raynaldshawe…'. It is shown on a map of 1773, at which time it had a by-pass system, water being taken off the Rother at a weir to the south-west. The map shows a head goit splitting into three channels, one for the overflow, shown curving around the east side of the mill, the other two leading to the two wheels. The full length of the tail goit is not shown on this map. The mill was tenanted around the time of enclosure by the same individuals as Eckington's Park Mill, namely first Mary Rotherham and then Joseph Carr. (1) The mill is annotated 'Renishaw Mill (Flour)' on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. This shows the tail goit running north-west to join the Rother just east of the railway, although the original course of the tail goit may well have been different. (2) The 2nd edition does not name the mill, and shows the head goit as an earthwork. It no longer connects with the Rother, and the weir has been removed. The two channels that previously led from the wheels to the tail goit are shown as silted up. (3) On the 3rd edition, the building is annotated 'Corn Mill', but the tail goit is depicted as an earthwork. (4) A mill is marked here on the River Rother on the 1840 Ordnance map and 'Mill Farm' still survives in 1995. S Rotherham was the miller in 1846 and A Brooker in 1876. A stone building on the site used as a store may have been the mill. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1996. The Value of the Fairbank Collection as a Resource for the Study of Landscape Change (in) Eckington.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. p 121.



Grid reference Centred SK 4433 7878 (187m by 316m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 30 2014 12:23PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.