Building record MDR13131 - Stretton Hall Farm, Newmarket Lane, Clay Cross

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

According to an extract from the Clay Cross parish council's website, '… the caput or head of the Stretton Manor was situated down Clay Lane on the site of the Stretton Hall Farm but was later transferred to Henmill'. This suggests that the present farm may stand on the site of a medieval manor house. Late 18th and early 19th century maps, eg Burdett's map of the 1760s and Sanderson's map of 1835, name the building(s) at this location as 'Stretton Hall'. The land lies within that part of Stretton parish that was transferred to Clay Cross in 1935. (1-3)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • --- Unpublished document: Dyson, B (ARS). 2019. Archaeological Works at Stretton Hall Farm, Newmarket Lane, Clay Cross.
  • <1> *Internet Web Site: Williams, C. A Potted History of Clay Cross. http://www.claycross.gov.uk/history.asp. Website viewed 25/11/2011.
  • <2> Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
  • <3> Map: Burdett, RP. Survey of Derbyshire, Began in the Year 1762 and finished in the Year 1767.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3759 6272 (56m by 73m)
Civil Parish CLAY CROSS, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR5132

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 15 2020 10:34AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.