Building record MDR13142 - Woodlands Methodist Church, Snake Road, Hope Woodlands

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st and 2nd eds 25" Ordnance Survey maps show a small, almost square building, annotated 'Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)'. The 3rd edition indicates that the chapel had been extended to the northwest. (1-3) Bulmer's Directory of 1895 notes 'There is a Wesleyan Chapel near the centre of the [Ashop] valley, erected in 1868. The site was given by the Duke of Devonshire, who also defrayed the cost of erection'. (4) Woodlands Methodist Chapel is a simple rectangular chapel with plain windows and a datestone of 1868. At the entrance to the south-east are iron railings. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire.
  • <5> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. Rowlee Farm, Hope Woodlands, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. p 8, Feature 3.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1454 8946 (15m by 16m)
Civil Parish HOPE WOODLANDS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3874

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 17 2015 12:20PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.