Building record MDR13146 - Former vicarage, 48 Bedford Street, Derby

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1895 AD to 1930 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

This house was built in 1895-6 as the vicarage for nearby St. Luke’s church which, prior to that date had "no proper vicarage house" as the first incumbent had a residence elsewhere in the parish. He was succeeded in 1895 by Revd Reginald Heygate Scott Currey, whose younger brother, Percy Heylin Currey FRIBA (1864-1942) designed the building in his version of "Queen Anne Revival". It has three by three bays, is of two storeys with attics and is constructed of red brick with stone bands between the storeys decorated with carved anthemions. There are dormer windows with bargeboards. The building was acquired in 1930 by the Diocesan Training College as a practicing nursery school, the garden backing on to their new halls of residence on Lonsdale Place, to which it was also, from 1952, a residential annex. The adaptation as a school involved the re-fenestration of the ground floor, partial stripping of the interior and an extension, but the design was by the College’s architect, again, P H Currey. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3389 3560 (21m by 25m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 22 2014 4:37PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.