Purpose built infant school. It consists of two brick-built sections on either side of a rectangular site, facing a playground in the middle, historically symmetrically divided. There are ‘Girls’ and ‘Boys’ metal entrance gates to the playground. The Faire Street elevation has six even gable ends, each with tall Diocletian windows; the two windows on either end have stone dressings and ‘1887’ date plaques. The buildings have clay tiled roofs. The school was designed by Thomas Coulthurst (1838-1888) for the Derby School Board and was built in 1887. Its name derives from the fact that it stands on land given by the owners of the Regency villa known as the Firs, now 320 Burton Road. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3431 3525 (96m by 116m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2018 4:33PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.