Building record MDR13155 - Former Junction Baptist Church, Uttoxeter Old Road, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- BAPTIST CHAPEL (Early 20th Century - 1920 AD to 1929 AD)
- None recorded
Neo-Decorated Gothic Edwardian church, built of brick with sandstone tracery windows and stringcourses. It has a double pointed arch entrance with hoods, and a tower with tall lancet windows with tracery, a crenellated parapet and a limestone spire with ball finial. A Baptist church was established for the community in this area in Parcel Terrace in 1850. When the congregation grew it was relocated to the current position in 1860. The current church was built circa 1920. The church was ceased to be used by the Baptist congregation in 2004 following a fire. (1) Late 19th century Ordnance Survey maps show a Baptist Chapel on nearby Junction Street [SMR 32679]. Two adjoining buildings, probably houses, set back from the road, are shown on the site of the present Junction Baptist Church. (2, 3)
- <1> SDR21254 Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3385 3584 (27m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2014 4:37PM