Monument record MDR13179 - Decorative plantations, Harewood Moor, Beeley
Type and Period (1)
- PLANTATION (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1800 AD)
- None recorded
The remains of seven pairs of small walled plantations flank the track between Stone Edge and the crossroads on Harewood Moor to the west, although some now have few or no trees surviving. Each plantation was probably originally set at 45 degrees from the track so as to appear diamond shaped. The first estate maps that depict these features were produced in 1831. While these show the plantations, the track that they flank is not shown; it is not clear if this is because it was unwalled or that it was disused by this date. Sanderson's map of 1836 and the Ordnance Survey map of 1839 show the track, suggesting that it was in use. Unfortunately there are no earlier detailed maps that clarify when the plantations and track were created. The visual effect of the plantations would have been ruined once the parish boundary wall between Beeley and Ashover was built, which left some of the plantations to the south of the wall. This wall was certainly present in 1831 and may possibly have been built in 1783 at the time of the Ashover Enclosure Award. It is suggested that the drive and plantations were created sometime prior to 1759, presumably earlier in the 18th century rather than before, but that the route probably fell into disuse (except as a local access track) after the Rowsley Bridge to Stone Edge turnpike road was built in 1759. (1)
- <1> SDR19851 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1998. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Moorlands: Archaeological Survey 1997-8. p 151, Feature 24.2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3107 6721 (2508m by 272m)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2015 9:22AM