Monument record MDR13181 - Hawkshead Mill, Glossop

Type and Period (2)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1791 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1791 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Hawkshead Mill was erected adjoining Blackshaw Clough in 1791. The 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of 1880 indicates that it was still in use as a cotton mill at that time; however, the 2nd edition of 1898 marks it as disused. By 1921 it was in use again for the manufacture of bolts and nuts. There has been some survival of industrial and other buildings in this area, including a brick chimney, although the mill pond has been filled in. (1) In Kelly's Directory of 1912 Jackson Isaac and Sons Ltd., belt fastener manufacturers, are recorded at Hawkshead Mills. (2) Built in 1783 on Blackshaw Clough by William Sheppard. By the late 1770s he favoured fabrics made entirely of cotton, and built Hawkshead Mill, off Hope Street, Old Glossop, employing ten mill hands. The mill became so successful that he was able to build other mills in Glossopdale. A lease, dated 29 September 1791, was taken out by a James Starkie, a merchant from Manchester. By 1823, the tenants were Messrs Benjamin Rolfe & Bubb, who were so successful that, by 1828, they registered 9,336 spindles. When Rolfe became sole owner in March of the same year, he changed the name to Roofless Mill. The owners in 1828 were Messrs Waterhouse and Holland, boasting 11,370 spindles and, by 1831, Waterhouse became the sole tenant, further increasing the business within twelve months to 13,608 spindles and 128 looms. The mill burnt down in 1837, but was rebuilt within a year by Messrs Joseph Berresford and John Holland. Part of the old Roofless Mill in Wesley Street was converted into cottages, which still exist opposite the school. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2001. Extensive Urban Survey: Glossop. Archaeological Assessment Report.. p 15, Component 14.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 111.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0439 9513 (130m by 197m)
Civil Parish GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3372

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 12 2021 9:58AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.