Site record MDR13189 - Roman Building and Metalled Surfaces, No. 190 Duffield Road, Derby
Type and Period (3)
- BUILDING (Roman - 100 AD? to 200 AD?)
- HARD STANDING (Roman - 100 AD? to 200 AD?)
- BEAM SLOT (Roman - 100 AD? to 200 AD?)
Roman building and metalled surfaces, No. 190 Duffield Road, Derby, of probable 2nd century date. During an evaluation carried out in 1998: '…cobbled surfaces were recovered in two of the test pits, one of those was extended, and the metalled foundation and cill beam slots of a probable timber building were discovered. Pottery and a coin from the silts above the metalling tentatively suggest a 2nd century AD date. The second metalled surface, not investigated, could well be a second structure.' (1) Further monitoring of the site was carried out in 2003, during which the previously recorded remains were preserved in situ, and the original interpretations were maintained. The full extent of the structure was established at 16m by c4.8m. (2)
- <1> SDR18963 Unpublished document: Garton, D, Guilbert, G and M Southgate (TPAU). 1998. An Archaeological Evaluation in Strutt's Park, at 192 Duffield Road, Derby. 2.
- <2> SDR19373 Unpublished document: Garton, D and M Hurford (TPAU). 2003. Monitoring of Topsoil Stripping and Archaeological Recording Preparatory to Building Construction at 192 Duffield Road, Derby.
|Grid reference||SK 3481 3765 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:02PM