The Longnor to Rowland road was turnpiked in 1765. It seems that the turnpiking of the road did not occasion the alteration of the route through Ashford Hall park, because Burdett's 1791 map of Derbyshire shows the road still in its original position. Sometime before 1824, perhaps by the time the turnpike link with Edensor was made in 1812, the road was moved to behind Ashford Hall and outside the park [SMR 480]. It is likely that the changed route occurred because of the building of the Hall, as the re-routing or closure of roads and footpaths was fairly common in the creation of park landscapes and had been made much easier since an Act of 1773 which only required the agreement of two county magistrates. (1)
Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1998. Ashford Hall, Ashford and Bakewell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey. pp 9-10, fig 6; p 17, Feature 22.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
ASHFORD IN THE WATER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 10:53AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.