Monument record MDR13206 - Diversion on the Longnor to Rowland turnpike road, Ashford in the Water
Type and Period (1)
- TOLL ROAD (Georgian - 1800 AD to 1820 AD)
- None recorded
The turnpiked Longnor to Rowland road seems to have initially followed its original route to the north-east of Ashford Ashford Hall's park, because Burdett's 1791 map of Derbyshire shows the road in this original position. Sometime before 1824, perhaps by the time the turnpike link with Edensor was made in 1812, the road was moved to behind Ashford Hall and outside the park. It is likely that the changed route occurred because of the building of the Hall, as the re-routing or closure of roads and footpaths was fairly common in the creation of park landscapes and had been made much easier since an Act of 1773 which only required the agreement of two county magistrates. (1)
- <1> SDR20304 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1998. Ashford Hall, Ashford and Bakewell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey. p 17, Feature 22.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2000 7052 (780m by 1123m)|
|Civil Parish||ASHFORD IN THE WATER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 10:53AM