Monument record MDR13225 - The 'Earl's Road' braided hollow way, Peveril Castle, Castleton
Type and Period (2)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1300 AD)
- ROAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
This braided route known as the 'Earl's Road' comprises shallow hollow ways up to c. 0.5m deep which run south-westwards from Peveril Castle. They stand out as of different character to another trackway which follows much of the same route, and are earlier. The hollow ways lead to the medieval entrance to the Peveril Castle outer bailey. This demonstrates that the routeway is medieval in date. It was probably the main approach route to the castle between the late 11th and late 12th centuries. This route ran towards the Portway, a possible cross-country route of some antiquity that ran north-north-west/south-south-east across the limestone plateau, and probably continued beyond to Peak Forest. It may also have doubled back, at a point south of Hurdlow, to run down Cave Dale and thus provide gentle-gradient access for foot and horse traffic to the medieval borough of Castleton (parts of Cave Dale are too narrow to allow carts through). (1)
- <1> SDR20408 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1992. Aston Hall, land at Castleton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1992. Catalogue p 1, Feature 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1465 8233 (444m by 333m)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2016 12:11PM