Monument record MDR13234 - Cotespark Colliery (site of), Somercotes

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Cotespark Colliery is shown on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, with an engine house and several shafts. It was connected to the Midland Railway to the east by a tramway. In the early 20th century, a tramway ran westwards from the colliery towards Nottingham Road, possibly connecting with a brick works there. (1-3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4257 5490 (1193m by 385m)
Civil Parish SOMERCOTES, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 8 2019 4:30PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.