Building record MDR13247 - 'Hillside' cottage terrace, The Hillock, Curbar
Type and Period (2)
- TERRACE (Georgian to Victorian - 1830 AD to 1870 AD)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Georgian to Victorian - 1830 AD to 1870 AD)
- None recorded
Towards the western end of Curbar village, a terrace of gritstone cottages, now known as 'Hillside', runs north off the road to Curbar Gap. Originally called 'London Row', the cottages were built around the mid-19th century to house workers at Calver Cotton Mill. They later became known as 'Club Cottages', as they were owned at one time by the Calver Burial Club, founded in 1878 to enable villagers to save to pay for family burials. (1) Late 19th century Ordnance Survey maps show that the row originally comprised ten or eleven dwellings, but those at the northern end have been lost, presumably as a result of road widening. (2, 3)
- <1> SDR20473 Unpublished document: McGuire, S. 2007. Calver Weir Restoration Project. p 27.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2514 7460 (20m by 47m)|
|Civil Parish||CURBAR, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2016 12:01PM