The Reservoir Company was formed in 1837, when a capital of upwards of £6000 was subscribed to create reservoirs to supply mills in dry seasons. One reservoir was constructed, at a cost of £10000, situated 'between the hills', one mile south-east of Glossop. (1)
In 1837, an Act of Parliament was obtained by 50 local mill owners and gentlemen to construct three reservoirs for the use of mill owners. The reservoirs were to be situated on the Hurst Brook, the Chunal Brook and Shelf Brook; however, only enough money was raised to finance Hurst Reservoir. It was taken over in 1929 by the Glossop Corporation Waterworks which became part of the Manchester Corporation Waterworks in 1959. Hurst Reservoir is no longer in service. (2)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 586.
Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 60, p 65.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0558 9373 (455m by 307m)
CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2015 9:08AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.