Monument record MDR13260 - Primrose Mill (site of), Primrose Lane, Glossop
Type and Period (2)
- COTTON MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL POND (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
'Primrose Mill (Cotton)' is depicted on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, with a mill pond shown immediately to the east. (1) The Mill is described as disused on the 2nd edition of 1898, and the mill pond appears to have been at least partially, if not completely, infilled. (2) The site became a Nursery in the early 20th century, with a row of glasshouses shown on the 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map. (3) Only a small reservoir and a terrace of cottages remain of a small former buckram mill, whicxh was the second mill on the small tributary of the Sett. The base of the chimney built on the hillside behind the conttages to provide draught can be seen from the footpath above. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II.11.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II.11, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet II.11.
- <4> SDR22140 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 31.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0264 9375 (78m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:52PM