Monument record MDR13283 - Burntwood Quarry, Fallinge, Beeley
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
'Old Quarries', a smithy and two cranes are marked at the southern end of Burnt Wood on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. The 2nd edition shows an active quarry, unnamed. In the early 20th century the quarry had expanded northwards into the area originally marked 'Old Quarries', with a length of tramway shown. The works are annotated 'Burntwood Quarry'. (1-3)
Burntwood Quarry is a large gritstone quarry with a face up to about 15m high. There are large amounts of waste rubble which is dumped in two main spoil heaps to the west of the quarry, to either side of a trackway. The eastern of the two heaps may well be the earlier, the other replacing it as the space for dumping east of the access trackway became full. The large spoil heaps suggest the main output was dressed products rather than freestone. There are several interesting features associated with the quarry. At the south-east end is a large sub-circular hollow which is stone-lined with drystone wall retaining. Its purpose is unclear but it may have been a loading bay. Immediately to its north is a raised causeway c. 3m across, the remains of either a trackway or tramway. Near the north-west end of this causeway is an abandoned quarry product consisting of a large circular slab about 0.5m thick, with a dressed cylindrical edge that has a diameter of about 2m but no central hole. It is presumably an unfinished millstone-pulpstone, although it is unusually thick. A short distance further north-west, at the entrance to the quarry, is a roofless building, probably a multi-purpose workshop and store. Nearby are two unfinished 'millstones/pulpstones', each about 1m in diameter. Further west are two large stone-built abutments, one to either side of the main quarry access trackway. They are about 4-5m high and very solidly constructed to support a bridge for an overhead tramway. The flat linear bed of this runs from near the quarry face to the abutments and then continues on the other side across the top of the larger of the two spoil heaps. The Ordnance Survey map of 1879 shows an active quarry which was significantly smaller than today, as well as several 'old quarries' to the north; by 1922 the old quarries had been subsumed into the main quarry, which was of similar size to today. Little work appears to have been done after this date. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J and H Taylor (PDNPA). 2000. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Inbye Land: Archaeological Survey 1999-2000. pp 234-235, Feature 50.8.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2674 6660 (190m by 208m)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 29 2020 4:25PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.