The site of Hopwell Hall, which was a tall three-storey, five by four bay house dating to 1720. To the left there was a contemporary two-storey three-bay wing, with a longer, lower service wing. The house is reminiscent of the style of Francis Smith of Warwick, active in Derby in 1723. It was reported to be in a ruinous state by G M Woodward circa 1800, perhaps as a result of a fire. Inside there was a fine oak staircase. The hall was set in a landscaped park of 90 acres. It was built by Henry Keys, who inherited its substantial 16th century predecessor from Jacynth Sacheverell. Sacheverell's family had acquired the land from the heiress of Roger de Hopwell in the late 14th century. The house was partly destroyed by fire in 1957. As a result, the top storey was removed, with the rest of the house being demolished shortly afterwards. It has been replaced with a modern school. (1)
A lead trough or cistern dating to 1723 is located at the school on the site of Hopwell Hall. It is one of the last vestiges of hall, though it has probably been reset. (2)
The current location of the lead cistern is not certain . (3)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 43.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 14.1, with photos.
Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4398 3627 (261m by 214m)
HOPWELL, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 19 2020 12:31PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.