The earliest surviving map of Scropton, dated 1764, shows a field to the south-west of the village that is called 'Chapel Reins', alongside a now lost road running from the River Dove to Scropton. The same field [although the shape has altered] is referred to on the tithe map of 1847 as 'Chapel Ruins and Little Chapel'. This may point to the former presence of an isolated chapel in the medieval period, when some chapels were built at the roadside near bridges, fords or ferrying points. (1)
Unpublished document: Sheppard, R and Wilson, A (TPA). 2011. An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment For A Proposed Flood Alleviation Scheme at Scropton, Derbyshire. pp 13-14.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1857 2991 (203m by 173m)
FOSTON AND SCROPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 30 2016 4:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.