Listed Building record MDR1333 - Old Tithe Barn, Church Street, Ashford in the Water
Type and Period (2)
- TITHE BARN (Stuart to Late 20th Century - 1680 AD to 1980 AD?)
- HOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1980 AD? to 2050 AD)
Old Tithe Barn, Church Street, Ashford in the Water, built in 1680. Pevsner records that in the village there is a 17th century tithe barn. (1) 'Extant outfarm. The outfarm is formed of a single structure. The site is located within or in association to a village with one or more of the structural elements dating to the 17th century. All the traditional buildings remain extant.' (2-5) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 19 69 PARISH OF ASHFORD IN THE WATER CHURCH STREET 11/17 (North Side) 12.7.1967 Old Tithe Barn GV II Barn, converted to house. 1680, converted c1980's. Coursed limestone rubble. Gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone slate roof. Moulded stone copings with plain kneelers. Three bays, two storeys. Doorcase with quoin surround to west. Large lintel over, C20 studded wooden door below. To west again, small C20 casement window under large lintel. To east, similar window. Beyond, to east, doorcase with lintel above inscribed: 'HE 1680, now filled by C20 window. Further window to east. Above, two single pane casements in rebated hayloft openings. To east, C20 window in inserted opening. Regular pattern of ventilation slits on all sides of barn. Bee holes in quoins to west and east. Listing NGR: SK1946069692.' (6)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised.
- <2> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <3> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <4> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <5> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1158592.
|Grid reference||SK 19460 69692 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ASHFORD IN THE WATER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 2:26PM