The Lower Basin Stone Crusher was a very substantial building with a floor of reinforced concrete. The reinforcements were scrap lengths of edge, flat-bottomed, narrow gauge and angle iron sections. There is no definite date of construction, but it may have been c. 1856. This was the time of railway expansion and very large amounts of ballast were required. Power to the stone crusher was initially supplied by a steam boiler; however, the boiler and associated machinery were replaced by a Crossley diesel engine that was still functioning up to closure in 1925. The method of operation was for a 'gang' of loaded quarry wagons to be pushed along the pier that gave access to the crusher floor, where each wagon would be emptied into the 'crusher hopper'. Once full, the crusher was started and the resultant stone ballast was run through a sieve to the chute below and loaded directly into the narrow boats moored alongside the crusher building. The narrow boats would be moved backwards and forwards to ensure that the cargo of ballast was evenly distributed through the cargo hold, prior to the boat being sheeted up, gauged and sent on its way to Prince's Dock Branch at Ashton-under-Lyne. There it would be transhipped to rail wagons for ongoing movement to wherever it was required. (1)
Index: Lamb, B. Index Record for Industrial Sites, Peak Forest Canal. BL 67.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0208 8204 (28m by 23m)
CHINLEY, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2015 1:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.