Monument record MDR13360 - Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan) (site of), High Street, Eckington
Type and Period (2)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1876 AD to 1976 AD)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The first Wesleyan Chapel in Eckington was erected in 1807 on what was described as ‘one of the most commanding sites in the village’ on the north side of High Street. This was replaced in 1876 by a new chapel, built immediately behind the earlier one, almost certainly in response to the growth of the town following continued development of local coalfields. In 1906, the walls of the original 1807 building were still standing, although by that time it had been converted into two villas. The later building had a ‘handsome mid-19th century classical stone facade’ but was demolished in 1977. (1) The Former Wesleyan Chapel opened in April 1876. It was a large building with stone walls and elaborate ashlar front of five bays with two Corinthian Columns. It was built in memory of colliery owner George Wells by his family. It was demolished c. 1976. (2) According to Bulmer's Directory, the Wesleyan Chapel opened in 1876 and afforded accommodation for about 700 worshipers. It was in the Italian style of architecture, with a gallery round three sides. (3) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated on High Street on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. Also shown is a Sunday School building to the rear. (4)
- <1> SDR19717 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1999. Extensive Urban Survey: Eckington. Archaeological Assessment Report.. section 5.6.6.
- <2> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 48, illus..
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 237.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 20 2017 4:02PM