Monument record MDR13373 - Methodist Chapel (United Free) (site of), High Street, Stonebroom, Shirland and Higham
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1867 AD to 1975 AD)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, there was a United Methodist Free Church in Stonebroom which was a commodious structure, built in 1867 at a cost of £900. Underneath there was a schoolroom, and behind it was another schoolroom and a vestry. Several alterations and additions were made in 1885, and an organ placed in the chapel at a cost or £182. (1) There is a Methodist Chapel (United Free) situated on High Street, Stonebroom on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (2) Moderns maps show this building to have been demolished. (3) With the Methodist Union in 1932, this chapel, along with the Zion (Primitive) Methodist Chapel (SMR 12630), became part of the Methodist Church. Both chapels underwent changes and modernisation through to their eventual closure and demolition as the new building replaced them in 1975. (4)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 680.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
- <4> SDR21427 *Internet Web Site: Stonebroom Methodist Church. http://stonebroom-methodist-church.org.uk/index.html. website accessed 03/12/2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4154 5971 (25m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||SHIRLAND AND HIGHAM, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2012 12:13PM