Monument record MDR13374 - Zion Chapel (Primitive Methodist), High Street, Stonebroom, Shirland and Higham
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1867 AD to 1975 AD)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, The Primitive Methodist Chapel in Stonebroom was a large structure of brick, erected in 1867 at a cost of about £1,000. It was comfortably furnished with open seats of pitchpine to accommodate 400. (1) There is a Zion Chapel (Primitive Methodist) situated in Stonebroom on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (2) Modern maps show the building to have been demolished, the site is now underneath the car park of a newer Methodist Church. (3) (4) With the Methodist Union in 1932, this chapel, along with the United Methodist Chapel (SMR 12629) became part of the Methodist Church. Both chapels underwent changes and modernisation through to their eventual closure and demolition as the new building replaced them in 1975. (5)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 680.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. website accesssed 03/12/2012.
- <4> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
- <5> SDR21427 *Internet Web Site: Stonebroom Methodist Church. http://stonebroom-methodist-church.org.uk/index.html. website accessed 03/12/2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4142 5968 (23m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||SHIRLAND AND HIGHAM, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2012 12:17PM