Building record MDR13382 - Friend's Meeting House, Toadhole Furnace, Shirland and Higham
Type and Period (2)
- FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (Georgian - 1743 AD to 1743 AD)
- CHURCH SCHOOL (Georgian - 1743 AD to 1743 AD)
The Friends Meeting House and school were built in 1743 from coursed sandstone rubble with gritstone dressings and slate roofs. The meeting house was a single bay, single storey building to the east and the school house was two storey, single bay to the west with a flight of stone steps between the two. Over the doorway of the Meeting House there is a lintel inscribed 'Matthew Hopkinson 1743'. (1) The former Friends Meeting House is a small building of squared stone with a slate roof, formerly thatched, built in 1743. A stable with women's meeting-house above of the later 18th century, similarly constructed, stands to the west separated from the main building by an external stair to the gallery. The north front has a doorway with a deep lintel inscribed 'Matthew Hopkinson 1743' and a small two-light window to the left with a square mullion. The south wall has a small blocked window near the centre, and further east a large window has been inserted in the 19th century. The interior (24ft by 14.5ft) has two exposed beams supporting a deep gallery the front of which is closed by fielded panelled shutters. (2)
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <2> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 55-6 illus..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3891 5694 (14m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||SHIRLAND AND HIGHAM, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2012 10:34AM