According to Kelly's Directory, at Handley there is a cemetery of half an acre, with two mortuary chapels, under the control of a burial board of six members. (1)
There are two Mortuary Chapels, a Church of England chapel to the west and a Nonconformist chapel to the east. They are situated less than a kilometre south west of Handley on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, within a cemetery, not shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably those referred to by Kelly in 1912. (2)
Modern maps show this building to still be extant and in use as a place of worship with cemetery attached. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 124.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3812 6139 (38m by 61m)
STRETTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2012 12:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.