Building record MDR13384 - Methodist Chapel, Handley Lane, Handley, Stretton
Type and Period (3)
- TITHE BARN (Victorian - 1874 AD to 1874 AD)
- METHODIST NEW CONNEXION CHAPEL (Victorian - 1874 AD to 1874 AD)
- UNITED METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1874 AD to 1874 AD)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, The New Connexion Chapel at Handley was rebuilt in 1874. On the site, formerly stood the Tithebarn, which some 90 years ago was converted into a chapel. (1) There is a chapel situated in Handley on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows this building as in use as a chapel by the New Connexion Methodist movement. (3) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map shows this building as in use as a chapel by the United Methodists. (4) Modern maps show this building still to be extant but no longer in use as a place of worship, with a small extension to the west. (5)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 96.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3747 6176 (16m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||STRETTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2012 1:45PM