Building record MDR13391 - Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), High Street, Clay Cross
Type and Period (4)
- METHODIST NEW CONNEXION CHAPEL (Victorian - 1848 AD to 1848 AD)
- INFANT SCHOOL (Victorian - 1848 AD to 1900 AD)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Victorian - 1848 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Victorian - 1848 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
According to White's Directory, there was a New Connexion Methodist Chapel in Clay Cross built in 1848. (1) There is a New Connexion Methodist Chapel situated in High Street, Clay Cross on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, with an Infants School and burial ground to the rear. Presumably that referred to by White in 1852. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows the Infant School had been turned into a Sunday School. (3) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map shows the chapel to be in use by the United Methodists. (4) Modern maps appear to show the older chapel as being demolished and replaced by a newer, larger building partly utilising the old footprint, still in use as a Methodist Chapel. The Sunday School is no longer extant. (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 792.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. website accessed 06/12/2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3920 6330 (72m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||CLAY CROSS, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:00AM