Building record MDR13396 - Roman Catholic Chapel, Thanet Street, Clay Cross
Type and Period (1)
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (Victorian - 1882 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, the Catholics established a mission in Clay Cross in 1862 and built their present church 1882 at a cost of £1,000. It was a neat structure of brick, with stone facings, in the Gothic style, and comprises chancel, nave, porch, and bell turret. The alter, chaste and unostentatious, stands between the statues of St. Patrick and St. Brigid, to whom the church is dedicated. On either side of the chancel arch, stand the statues of St. Joseph and the Sacred Heart. The Lady chapel forms a transept on the north side of the nave, from which it is separated by two fine Gothic arches, springing from a central column with foliated capital. The stations of the Cross are worthy of attention. The figures stand out in high relief and are remarkably life-like in their pose. (1) According to Kelly's Directory, the Catholic church, dedicated to St. Patrick and St. Bridget, was erected in 1862 and enlarged or rebuilt in 1882 for 200 sittings, consists of chancel, nave and lady chapel. (2) There is a Roman Catholic chapel situated on Thanet Street, Clay Cross on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, presumably that referred to by Bulmer in 1895 and Kelly in 1912. There is no evidence of a building at this location on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (3) Modern maps show this building is still in use as a Church dedicated to St. Patrick and St. Bridget, but has been extended to adjoin the building to the east. (4)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 84.
- <2> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 124.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. website accessed 06/12/2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3944 6315 (33m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||CLAY CROSS, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:01AM