According to White's Directory, the Independents had a neat brick chapel in Calow, erected in 1837, which will seat about 250, in connection with which is a day school, erected in 1855, and taught on the British system. It was a small neat brick building and will accommodate about 100, average attendance was 60. (1)
There is a Congregational Chapel situated in Calow on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, with a Boys and Girls School to the rear. Presumably that referred to by White in 1857. (2)
The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows the school had been turned into a Sunday School and there was a burial ground attached to the Chapel. (3)
Modern Maps show the building is still in use as a United Reformed Church. (4)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 715.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4120 7100 (68m by 84m)
CALOW, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:22AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.