Building record MDR13415 - Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Alton, Ashover
Type and Period (2)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1856 AD to 1856 AD)
- MISSION HALL (Victorian - 1856 AD to 1856 AD)
- None recorded
According to White's Directory, Primitive Methodists had a chapel erected the present year (1856) at Alton. (1) There is a Methodist Chapel (Primitive) situated in Alton on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by White in 1857. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows this building as being a Mission Room. (3) Modern maps show a building in this location, with a similar footprint but with extensions, with a date stone 'CH of ENG 1884'. It is in use as a residence. (4)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 670.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. website accessed 12/12/2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3612 6432 (14m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 12 2012 2:01PM