Building record MDR13416 - Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Uppertown, Ashover

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

According to Bulmer's Directory, there was a Wesleyan Chapel at Upper Town, built in 1868, at a cost of £100, exclusive of the site, which was given by Mr. John Holmes, and a deal of gratuitous labour. It could seat 100 persons, and was in the Matlock Bridge circuit. (1) There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated in Uppertown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (2) Modern maps shown this building is still extant but no longer used as a place of worship. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 42.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3215 6503 (17m by 17m)
Civil Parish ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 12 2012 12:26PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.