Building record MDR13417 - Methodist Chapel (Free), Butts, Ashover
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1856 AD? to 1856 AD?)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, the members of the Methodist Free Church had a place of worship at Butts, a neat stone structure with square tower. (1) There is a former Wesleyan Reform chapel at Butts, Ashover. Built by John Smedley c. 1856 and now used as a studio, it has walls of squared stone and a slate roof. The entrance is at the south end in the base of a three-stage tower with a two-centred arched doorway, there is a blank shield-shaped stone tablet above and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles (removed) on top. There are three lancet windows on the side walls. (2) There is a Methodist Chapel (Free) situated north-east of Butts on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (3) Modern maps show the building is still extant but no longer used as a place of worship. (4)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 42.
- <2> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 33 illus..
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3446 6332 (20m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 4:43PM