Wadshelf Methodist Church is dated 1834. It is built from coursed squared Coal Measures Sandstone with ashlar dressings, plain and coped gables, and a Welsh slate roof. The north elevation has a gable wall with obelisk finials and an advanced gabled porch emitting from the centre of the wall. To the west of the porch is a gateway with low square piers leading to a porch side doorway with a six-panel door, and to a single-bay monoclinal-roofed lean-to with coped wall-head, and a blocked window. The east elevation has 4 x 4 glazing bar sash windows in flush ashlar surrounds. There is a rectangular plaque to north gable inscribed 'Wesleyan Chapel. 1834'. (1)
According to Bulmer's Directory, there was a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1834 in Wadshelf, and was thoroughly renovated in 1894. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 55.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3160 7092 (11m by 20m)
BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2015 9:00AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.