Monument record MDR13428 - Chapel (site of), Common Side, Barlow

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

According to Bulmer's Directory, there was a United Methodist Free Church at Commonside, built in 1867, at a cost of £430. (1) According to Kelly's Directory, the United Methodist chapel at Barlow was acquired in 1902 by the Order of Oddfellows, and is now used for their meetings. (2) There is a chapel situated in Common Side on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (3) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map shows this building was no longer used as a chapel by the early 20th century. (4) Modern maps show the building has been demolished and replaced by a residence. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 51.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 49.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <5> Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3374 7540 (18m by 20m)
Civil Parish BARLOW, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 13 2012 3:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.