According to Bulmer's Directory, the cemetery in Dronfield occupies a gentle slope and covers an area of eight acres. The ground is neatly laid out, and is equally divided between the Church and the Dissenters. There are two mortuary chapels and a caretaker's lodge. The sexton in 1895 was Geo. Platts, whose ancestors had held the same grim office for upwards of a century. The cemetery was opened in 1877. (1)
According to Kelly's Directory, the Dronfield cemetery, opened in November, 1877, is 8 acres in extent, and contains two mortuary chapels and a residence for the sexton; the total cost was £7,500. (2)
There is a Nonconformist Mortuary Chapel situated within Dronfield cemetery on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900. (3)
Modern maps show this building is still extant and in use as a chapel. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 230.
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 242.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3588 7782 (9m by 12m)
DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2017 4:37PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.